A Reason for Blogging

Character Design Sketching
Over the years I have accumulated numerous art books because I really have a passion for Arts. These books contained useful techniques that could help anyone grow as an artist.  Unfortunately, every time I need to review a lesson, I have to browse through each book to see where I read that lesson. So I have decided to compile all these lessons in one place. And I think the best place to put them is in a blog. Thus I am starting this blog.

First Lesson on Character Design

Yesterday, I was checking books at National Bookstore. I was looking at the way some authors teach about creating characters. Usually they start with a stick figure. And then they add volume to the character by using boxes and cylinders. And then they add the details. And finally, you get your finished drawing which is normally what people admire.

But I thought, this is not the proper way to design your character. The first step in character design should be, to just let yourself doodle. Let your right brain (your creative  side) roam free. Just doodle searching for a good design. Don't think too much about proportion, anatomical correctness, and perspective. Because if you stop and dwell on these things at the start, you are basically letting your left brain( your analytical side) take over thus killing the creative process.

Anatomy, proportion, perspective, and foreshortening are also important. But not at the very beginning.

Know your character and the design first. Then use your knowledge of them to polish your design.